[mythtv-users] Persistant Hanging

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:55:51 UTC 2006

On 8/15/06, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If it takes 8 hours, I would assume it is not a heat problem, but...
> >
> > With my system, I found that my RAM needed a 0.1V bump to be stable.
> > Before I increased the voltage, I would have problems every 3 to 10
> > days.  And I am *not* overclocking.
>
> How do you do that? I'd be willing to give it a try, but I've never
> heard of doing that before. Is there a test you can do first to see if
> it would help?

In my case, I was getting error message in /var/log/messages which
indicated I was getting some data corruption.

On most modern motherboards, there is a BIOS setting which allows you
to adjust how much voltage is going to your RAM.  Depending on the
type of RAM you have, the necessary voltage could vary anywhere from
1.8V to 3V.

Older motherboards have a jumper physically on the motherboard, for
adjusting such things.

John