[mythtv-users] Control DirecTV D11 via serial port

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Aug 14 18:21:13 UTC 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 6:16 PM, Jeff Simpson wrote:

> On 8/10/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> Just curious if anyone else has gotten this to work and any advice
>> they could lend. I'm attempting this with a USB to Serial adaptor and
>> a null modem connected to my mythtv box. I installed the perl module
>> Devices:SerialPort and the modified script linked from http://
>> www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB.
>> Unfortunately all I seem to get is:
>
> Which USB to Serial and null modem adapters are you using?
>
> Have you gotten the communications to work outside the script? I've
> helped a number of people with this script, and so far, all of their
> problems have stemmed from either a bad or incorrect cable or using
> the wrong port settings.
>
> I just added a couple links to some windows serial port utilities to
> the mythtv.org wiki entry on it. If you have a windows machine with a
> serial port that you can use, you should be able to connect the serial
> port to the D11 box and run the ComPort Toolkit software to send
> commands to the box. The specific commands to send can be found in the
> PDF (also linked from the wiki page).
>
> If you can get communications working from windows, you've eliminated
> the cabling as a possible problem. GIve that a try and let me know how
> you make out.
>
>  - Jeff

Windows? What the heck is that? Sounds stupid.

It ended up being the wrong USB->Serial adaptor. Looked just like the
iogear one, but no such luck. I didn't realize it was so important to
get a specific brand even thought they look/cost the same. Changing
channels like a champ now! Thanks for the response.

-Brad