[mythtv-users] Running mythtv-setup as non-root

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Aug 14 18:42:29 UTC 2006

H P Ladds <householdwords at gmail.com> says:
> I am running a very similar system -- HD3000 and Kenel 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4. I
> too used Jarod's HOWTO.
>
> The HOWTO instructs that mythtv-setup should be run as non-root. I had
> success running mythtv-setup as root user.

I have so far set up four MythTV backends with Jarod's guide, most
recently a slave backend last night running in a VMware instance, and
have always run mythtv-setup as non-root. Since the ATrpms builds run
mythbackend as root (this can be changed in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend if desired), this does require one bit of
manual labor during the installation process:

$ mythtv-setup
$ sudo service mythbackend start

    [/var/lib/mythtv/mythbackend.log says

    2006-08-14 07:48:47.741 Unable to connect to database!

    [...]

    2006-08-14 07:48:47.856 Failed to init MythContext, exiting.]

$ sudo emacs /.mythtv/mysql.txt

    [Edit

    DBHostName=localhost

    DBHostName=masterbackendhostname]

$ sudo service mythbackend start

Obviously, there are multiple alternatives to this approach, such as
symlinks between /.mythtv/mysql.txt and ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt.