[mythtv-users] using hauppauge pvr-x50 + pcHDTV3000

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:27:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 14:16 -0400, Adam Hirsch wrote:

> That's the part I'm fuzzy on -- the HD receiver card is getting an analog
> signal via antenna or S-video, which it then needs to digitize, somehow.

If it's coming in over S-Video, it needs digitized and encoded and will
use your CPU as the pcHDTV3000/5500 cards have no hardware encoding
support.  If it's coming in over the antenna, it is either picking up an
ATSC, QAM, or NTSC signal.  ATSC and QAM are already encoded MPEG-TS
streams, I believe.  NTSC would still need encoded using your CPU.

-Aaron