[mythtv-users] ASUS P4P800-SE No Sound with onboard soundcard

Cool Frood aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 17:13:46 UTC 2006

On 8/12/06, Christian Güdel <me at blaue0.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 00:14 -0700, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> > Plug-n-Pray being what it is, my values are different.  The only thing
> > that really strikes me is your IRQ (mine is IRQ 21).  You should look in /proc/interrupts
> > and see what else might be sharing with the sound card.
>
> cat /proc/interrupts says:
>   6:          0          XT-PIC  Intel ICH5
>
> so it seems that nothing is sharing an IRQ with the soundcard.
>
> > It may simply boil down to drivers.  What modules are you building for
> > your kernel?  I'm running 2.6.17.6 and lsmos shows the following:
>
> I'm running 2.6.16-gentoo-r9 and lsmod shows the following:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> nfs                   104304  1
> lockd                  60808  2 nfs
> sunrpc                139068  3 nfs,lockd
> snd_seq                49616  0
> snd_seq_device          6796  1 snd_seq
> snd_intel8x0           30044  0
> snd_ac97_codec         94240  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_ac97_bus            1792  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm                81096  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
> snd_timer              21892  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd                    41848  6
> snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore               7776  1 snd
> snd_page_alloc          8520  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> usbcore               119300  1
> w83627hf               24784  0
> hwmon_vid               2240  1 w83627hf
> hwmon                   2132  1 w83627hf
> i2c_isa                 3264  1 w83627hf
> i2c_core               17616  2 w83627hf,i2c_isa
> 8250                   20820  0
> serial_core            18944  1 8250
> sk98lin               170976  0

This might be stupid, but have you ever gotten the on-board sound to
work at all under any distro?  I had a similar issue where I couldn't
get the sound to work at all, no matter what distro I tried.  I bought
a new PCI sound card, and then later realised that the sound wasn't
working simply because I had tried to hook up the connectors for the
front sound input/output, which I had gotten wrong, so the front
connectors wouldn't work, and at the same time, the rear connectors
were disabled.  All I had to do was remove the front connector cables,
put the jumpers back, and I had sound.

In any case, you could pick up a cheap Creative Sound Blaster on eBay
(if you're in the US).  I got one for $10 and it works great.