[mythtv-users] How can I customize the frontend menu?

Heiko Gerstung heiko at am-anger-1.de
Sun Aug 13 20:01:33 UTC 2006

Hi!

I just managed to setup my first MythTV based HTPC for my living room
and I am amazed that - until now - almost everything I wanted ... well,
just works (tm) :-)

There are a few questions and problems and I would kindly ask you to let
me know your opinion/feedback/hints.

a) Frontend Menu Customization
Well, I do not have a TV card, I am viewing and recording TV shows with
my networked satellite receiver and the recordings are stored as mpeg2
files on my backend server. So, I just don't need the "Watch TV" and
"Manage Recordings" items in the menu and would like to know if there is
a way to simply hide them.

b) Slow network connection
Although my LAN-over-powerline connection from my MythTV frontend to my
server (running the backend and providing data storage for recordings
and other media) indicates that it runs at ~56 MBit/s, the playback
quality of mpeg2 files is poor and it stocks and hangs all the time.
Carrying the MythTV HTPC back in my office and connect it via a standard
100Mbit switch to my LAN resolves this and playback is smooth. It seems
strange to me that the recording (mpeg2 stream) is running fine over
that "slow" 56Mbit/s connection. Any hints on how to enhance the
playback quality for a slow network connection? One thing I could think
of is caching a video on the MythTV HTPC harddisk before playback
starts, but I have no idea how to solve this.

c) Control via Joystick/Gamepad
I always have my two Gamepads connected to my HTPC and I wonder if there
is a way to use them to control the MythTV menus (and maybe even mplayer).

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents :-)

Best regards,
Heiko