[mythtv-users] Why are all my recordings expired almostimmediately? (v0.19)

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Aug 10 13:30:29 UTC 2006

Gert-Jan Bilt, van de wrote:
> Indeed I am using ext3 on a Mandriva 2006 box. If I look at the partition information I see the following:
> df -k:
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used          Available Use%    Mounted on
> /dev/hda1              8840140    2607112    5783968  32%     /
> /dev/hda7             20560436   6800040  12715984  35%     /opt               <---- storage of recorder data
>
> And in Mythfrontend:
> Disk usage on server:
>    20 GB total, 7.5 GB used, 12 GB (or 62%)...
>
> So it seems that both Mythfrontend and df are more or less in agreement. Also when I start the backend it shows the following in the log file: 2006-08-10 09:41:38.161 AutoExpire: Required Free Space: 3.1 GB w/freq: 10 min
>
> So, somehow Myth calculates with 3.1 GB/10 minutes of video? Even though the pixels and bitrate on the "default" recording profile are set in such a way that in reality it is 250 MB/10 minutes. This is just not right!
>
> And also this response does not really answer the question I have: How does MythTV v0.19 decide when to delete files. What are the space calculation rules? Can anybody explain these rules? And then the logical next step: How can one influence these rules?
>
> I did find out that MythTV also deletes a recording which is specifically marked "no auto-expire", which I set because I really wanted to keep it.

MythTV will *never* delete a recording that is not marked as
"expirable".  Something else is happening on your system with those
files.   What that is, I have no idea but I didn't want the idea that
Myth arbitrarily deletes recordings to be propogated.  It deletes when
space on the directory in question is lower than the set thresholds.
The fact that you also don't see anything in your logs about
autoexpiration leads me to think that something else is responsible
because Myth always logs.  Are you *sure* that you don't have MythWeb
running as this is very common for people with MythWeb exposed to run
into problems with recordings disappearing because of spiders.

Kevin