[mythtv-users] Frontend sometimes reports MPEG2 errors (DVB-C)

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Thu Aug 10 03:25:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 03:50 pm, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> During playing, mythfrontend occassionally prints MPEG2 error messages
> in the console. These usually do not result in visible glitches (only 1
> time so far).
>
> Examples:
> [mpeg2video @ 0xb74247e4]ac-tex damaged at 0 14
> [mpeg2video @ 0xb74247e4]skipped MB in I frame at 2 20
> [mpeg2video @ 0xb74247e4]invalid mb type in I Frame at 0 14

I assume your using software playback.  If not these are from mythcommflag or
mythtranscode which use software playback.  These are messages from the
ffmpeg (or libmpeg2) library that MythTv has included internally.  Mostly
they're fixups that the library are doing to improve the picture output and
you can ignore them.

> I know, that this is not MythTV's fault, but since I cannot ask DVB-C
> experts about MythTV error messages, maybe someone here can enlighten me
> about the meaning or severness or has some tips to fix this.
>
> My signal strength is between 48% and 63%, my signal quality is 4.8dB
> (MythTV) or >90% (kaffeine).

Signal strength reading from cards are pretty useless.  All you might gain
from them is the ability to tell strong from weaker signals on the same card
and driver.

I noticed you reporting problems with mythcommflag and mythtranscode on the
dev list.  My guess is you aren't getting enough signal (possibly but
unlikely, too much signal) and that is causing software playback problems.
When the software libraries get too confused they will cause mythcommflag,
mythtranscode and mythfrontend to exit.

Paul