[mythtv-users] Hooking Hauppauge NOVA-T remote to NOVA-T-less frontend ...

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Wed Aug 9 16:46:25 UTC 2006

Dawson, Guy wrote:
> Jules
>
> There are some circuits on the LIRC website, and at
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8811 which show how to build a
> serial port receiver, using an 'IR detector' and some other bits and
> pieces.
>
> The methods that I recall seeing for connecting the Nova T IR receiver
> to a serial port lead me to believe that these receivers are basically
> just one of these detectors in a nice(?) plastic moulding on the end of
> a lead.
>
> This is born out by http://www.irblaster.info/hauppauge_ir.html, who is
> where you can buy a replacement receiver for a Hauppauge card.  If you
> look at the bottom, it pretty much spells it out.
>
> So to make use of the receivers that you have, you will need a circuit
> like those above, which will take care of the 12/5 volt issue, and a
> suitable socket (unless your going to cut the plug off!)

cool - so I need :

a) female 2.5mm jack (into which to plug my NOVA-T IR eye)
b) a plug that fits the internal COM2 socket on my m/b
c) some way of dropping the voltage from 12v to 5v
d) the pinouts at either end

assuming that I can get hold of (a), (b) and (d), how might I achieve
(c) - I know nothing about electronics :-( Can I just wire in some form
of small/cheap resistor on one of the wires that carries the voltage, or
is it more involved that that ?

this would be a really useful gismo for anyone who is splitting a
hauppauge-driven system into separate front and back ends :-)

sorry to be so dumb, I am way outside my field of expertise here.

thanks for all the help,

Jules