[mythtv-users] OT: Disaster Recovery - A Useful Tip

Chuck Filson mythtv at goodeid.com
Wed Aug 9 01:08:03 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 12:29 am, Rick Sauer wrote:
> I've been using a product called Mondo Rescue for a while now, and I
> thought I'd share it with our little community here.
>
> It's a bare-metal backup and restore for linux, covering nearly all
> distro's.
>
> You can find info and download from here.
>
> http://www.mondorescue.org/about.shtml
>
> I've used in RH both enterprise and 9.0 and also FC4 and FC5 with great
> success.
>
> It backs up all live data and creates a bootable CD/DVD for restore
> purposes. Runs in a console with a GUI or via the command line.
>
> Hope you find it handy.

I have used Mondo for awhile now under Mandriva 2006.0 and am quite happy with
it.

The only problem that I have had was when I tried to restore to a new root
drive. The /dev directory did not restore all devices correctly especially
some of the dynamic devices.

This caused problems with IVTV and LIRC. and resulted in MythTV failure.

What you actually need for this directory is a backup when you have booted
from another source, such as a boot DVD. That way your backup does not
include or retsore any of the dynamic devices.

Chuck