[mythtv-users] Custom record rule not matching episodes with different (matching) title

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Aug 8 23:09:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 12:28:23AM +0100, Nick wrote:
> Would it not make sense for custom rules to be able to treat such
> regexp title matches as having equal titles to allow such advanced
> scheduling?

It would be nice, although there would be some complications.  What
do you do if you have two or more rules that match a given title?
What if one rule matches more than one series and they just
*happen* to have the same episode name at some point?  I'm not
talking about "L and O" versus "L & O" here (in which case having
the same subtitle is what we want to use for dupe-detection) but
another power rule that cherry-picks from more than one series
based on genre or credit information, in which case two episodes
with different titles but the same subtitle are really not dupes...

I think the biggest issue might be performance.  Instead of just
comparing a show against prior recordings of that show, Myth would
have to do the regex search on your machine's entire recording
history to build the list of prior recordings against which to
check the new ones.  It may not be a big deal when mythfilldatabase
runs, but it will hurt the GUI performance when you make schedule
changes through the frontend.

All things considered, though, it's an interesting suggestion.