[mythtv-users] Weird coloured lines pattern with ATI Radeon 9800SE

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 8 17:27:00 UTC 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 8/8/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>>  On Aug 8, 2006, at 12:19 AM, jonny Linux wrote:
>> On 8/8/06, Rick Sauer <mantarogue at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> She's dead... wrapped in plastic. :)
>>
>> Yes, I thought so too, although it seems to be OK so far this
>> morning (about
>> 1 hour of light mythtv and web browsing so far). I've had this
>> problem a few
>> times over the last 3 months, but never as bad as yesterday. I
>> might go and
>> buy a new card (probably an NVidia 6600).
>>
>> I just got an NVidia 6600 to replace my FX5200  which wasn't happy
>> with my
>> 1080p display. My machine seems very happy now with the latest
>> drivers.
>
> Brad, what issue did your 5200 have with 1080p? I've got one running
> my 1080i CRT but my apt-mate just bought that HP 1080p tv and right
> now I notice a weird line near the top of the output in 1080i,
> wondering if I may need to look for a 6600...

5200 didn't have a Dual-Link DVI port on it. Just a single link DVI.
In order to get 1080p, you need dual-link. 1080i should be ok,
though. When I tried 1080p with the 5200 it had some crazy visuals
(not sure how to describe it) on the left side of the screen and in
high-contrast areas. Switching to the 1080i port on the display fixed
it.

The line you're getting at the top - is it just in recordings or all
the time? If it's just when you're viewing recordings at the very
top, set your overscan in myth to 1 or 2 percent in all directions.
It's just garbage from the broadcast. I've had to do that on my HD
recordings and now I can't see it.