[mythtv-users] My Ceiling Fan Controls My Mythtv Sound :(

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 16:27:58 UTC 2006

On 8/7/06, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, that certianly is a strange one, and I loved the response John
> gave, but I'll give you another strang one...
>
> Every time there's an electrical load on the curcuit that my living
> room A/V setup is plugged into (Myth box included), there is a half
> second of silence.
>
> At first I thought it was the surges causing it.  Every time the
> airconditioner kicked on, or the microwave was turned on (or even
> closed), there would be the half second of slience from the myth box.
> So..  I bought a line conditioner and EVERYTHING A/V related goes
> through it.  Even the plugs for the wireless mouse and the
> VGA->Component converter.  NOTHING is plugged into the wall on the A/V
> gear, TV included.
>
> Still the problem occurs.
>
> The only thing I can think of is some kind of electromagnetic
> interference.  The sound is run from the Myth box via SPDIF (RCA
> cable, not optical).  When the surge (or whatever) occurs, the
> reciever (Kenwood VR-something) input indicator switches from coaxial
> digital to something else for a half second causing the brief mute.
>
> Still haven't figured out what's causing that, though.

Too much load on the line is causing a voltage drop, If it only occurs
on that one circuit then your loading it greater than the line can
handle, which makes sense since it only occurs during the few cycles
that the motor is starting (which is a muuuuch greater load). If you
own, run a dedicated feed for your stereo/myth, if not, plug it in
somewhere else =)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!