[mythtv-users] Script for feedback click

Neil Dunbar neil.dunbar at pobox.com
Tue Aug 8 13:05:28 UTC 2006

Robin Gilks wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> In case it's useful, I wrote a small script (attached) which plays a
>>> (short)
>>> sound sample with every button press in the Myth menus.
>>>
>> I like that... not tried it yet... but I like it a lot!!
>>

> Well, I've tried it!
>
> First problem was that I'm running xinetd so pgrep found that (thinking it
> had found xine) and hence nothing happened. Quick fix by using 'pgrep -u
> mythtv' (xinetd runs as root).

D'oh! Should have thought of that one! Guess who doesn't run xinetd...
> Second problem is that mythtv calls the keypress application AFTER it has
> done something - not very good feedback if you can SEE something happen
> and then it goes thunk!

I think that mythbackend calls it whenever lirc detects a keypress. It's
supposed to occur simultaneously with the action; so if there's a delay,
then that indicates some weirdness with backend. For me, it does the
action and plays the sound pretty much simultaneously.

Anyway, you can generally always see something before you hear it. Speed
of light is always faster than speed of sound. :-) (OK, OK, lame excuse...)
> Guess it will have to go into the 'nice idea, shame about the usability'
> box :-( Sigh...

Ah, well. If you can think of a nicer way to do it (perhaps chaining it
to irexec instead of mythbackend ?) let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Neil