[mythtv-users] Combine two backends into one? Interesting problem

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Aug 7 19:54:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 09:01:02AM -0400, George Nassas wrote:
> On 6-Aug-06, at 3:52 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:
>
> >It's pretty simple.
>
> It isn't. He's crossing versions and there are schema changes. One I
> remember for sure is .18 generates the recording's filename from the
> channel + start/end times while .19 has a column for filename.
> Changing the recording host won't do it.

My apologies.  I read he just wanted to move recordings from one backend
to another.   Since you can't have two backends in the same pool running
different versions of Myth, I hadn't thought this would be the case.

(I've always found it somewhat annoying that Myth is so resistent to
having components run that are different versions.  I like to work
on the lastest trunk from time to time, but often I can't install it unless
I update the other backend and all frontends etc.   Since I also run
different linux distributions, it makes even just having a frontend
that I can quickly install from packages not possible.   For users
upgrading only with new releases, this is tolerable but it discourages
use of the latest trunk in a production environment.)

There are three areas where it complains.   Older plugins won't run
with a newer myth.  Backend protocol connections refuse to connect,
rather than understand how to talk to the older protocol, and there
are database changes though often the new database should work with
older code (especially when care is taken that all new columns have
default values and the meaning of a column isn't changed.)