[mythtv-users] What does Myth *really* require in terms ofwindowingr?

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Aug 7 13:30:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 05:44:28PM +0100, Paul Wheeler wrote:
> On 7/26/06, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One thing to that comes to mind on this discussion happens to me in my
> > line of work a lot being that I design graphics workstations for
> > medical imaging research. In my line of work the data set for a single
> > reading can be 1GB to 2 GB of data that needs to be loaded and
> > displayed on multiple ultra high resolution 2.5K x 2.0K monitors.
> > Since the data set is soo large compared to the software size (a few
> > megabytes) we have come to the conclusion that it's really pointless
> > to spend any large amount of time reducing the size of the code as it
> > is insignifigant. I believe the same applies here. How big is a
> > typical show compared to the size of the window manager itself? For me
> > I record at 2.2GB / hour.
>
> Ah but what about a frontend that just plays recordings with a
> remote(different machine) backend that does all the recordings?

	The cheapest disk you're going to be able to get for a new
myth frontend system is going to still be around 20-40G. This is
just feature inflation and without getting into a more esoteric
solution, you're just not going to be able to get away from having
more storage space than you know what to do with.