[mythtv-users] anyone using software RAID 5 for 1 terabyte +

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Aug 7 02:27:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 05:59:26PM -0400, Richard Freeman wrote:
> As far as I can tell that doesn't support anything along these lines
> that can't be done with md and lvm.  If I have 5x250GB drives in a 1TB
> RAID-5 with one redundant drive, and I want to add a single 250GB drive
> to the array to obtain 1.25TB of storage, this is not trivial to
> accomplish with any of the tools (actually, this can be done with md
> offline at some risk in the event of a power failure).

There is new kernel+mdadm code that allows you to add active drives
to a RAID-5 array (older versions could only resize the drives or
add spares).  From what I've read so far, it can even do the
addition while the system is up and running.  When you tell mdadm
to add another drive it momentarily locks the entire array (writes
are spooled) so it can move some metadata and enable crash
recovery, and then does the rest of the rebuilding with the
filesystem unlocked much like it does rebuilds of existing arrays.

> What I would like to see is a solution for mixtures of drive sizes.

You can impliment RAID-5 using logical volumes instead of physical
drives or partitions.  If you have an old 200Gb and a 60Gb you
could merge them to create a 260Gb device and then add it to the
array.  That logical device would be twice as likely to fail as the
others, of course.

> Suppose I have 4 120GB drives in RAID-5 and I want to add a 250GB drive
> and a 60GB drive to the array.  In theory this can be accomplished by
> chopping everything into 10GB blocks

A better idea would be to donate the 60Gb drive to a charity and
split the 250Gb drive into two partitions, one of which is added to
the RAID-5 and the other of which is used in some other way.  For
example, on my system the drives are not all the same sizes, so the
two largest drives each provide a partition to the RAID-5 array and
a partition to a RAID-0 array.  The remaining drives supply the
RAID-5 only.  I end up with two arrays that can both survive the loss of
any single drive.

> To me the biggest limitation of RAID-5/6/whatever is the fact that the
> drives all have to be the same size.

No.  The rule is that the array will only use the same amount of
space from each drive.  The drives can be any size you want.  When
one of my 160Gb drives died last week I ended up buying a 320Gb
replacement.  I created a 160Gb partition and the RAID-5 rebuilt
just fine.

> The other pain with most RAID setups is the fact that it is a pain to
> implement them using existing drives full of data.

I guess that depends on your definition of pain.  As a geek, I saw
implimenting RAID-5 in-situ as an exciting challenge.  I wouldn't
want to do it on a customer's machine, but doing it on my home box
brought a fair sense of accomplishment.  It's even easier now that
RAID-5 can add drives to an existing array.

Hint: when creating the array, use the UUID instead of device names
in the mdadm.conf file so that you can swap drives or move
partitions and have them automatically found and activated.