[mythtv-users] Got smooth playback? please post your setup & configuratio

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 16:41:56 UTC 2006

> OK, I think the trouble is my graphics card (the nvidia 6150), which is
> built onto my motherboard. The only thing stopping me from switching to a
> card like the nvidia 7300GS, is that the only reason I bought my
> motherboard
> (an MSI mini-atx thing with PCI-E, and DVI out) was because it has onboard
> DVI. And I can't find a 5300FX anywhere (I need a PCI Express GFX card).
>
> I don't surpose you know what the TV setting does in mythtv-setup, I can
> select multiple different types of PAL, but it doesn't seem to make any
> difference.
>
> You said your refresh rate is 60Hz, is that "exactly" 60 or close, like
> 60.02
>
> thanks so far, James
>
> On 06/08/06, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > (sorry if this was posted twice, didn't know if it sent properly...)
>> >
>> > Hi, I am having great trouble getting smooth playback (live tv or
>> > recorded).
>> > I've tried everything (that I can think of), and still can't get TV to
>> > look
>> > anything like as good as Sky. The ticker tape on BBC news (I'm in the
>> UK)
>> > is
>> > really jerky compared to any set-top-box output of the same channel.
>> >
>> > Could anyone who's got smooth playback (and I mean as smooth as a
>> > set-top-box gives out), please post there setup and configuration.
>> >
>> > I'm looking for:
>> > - what kind of tv link are you using (dvi, component etc...)
>> > - what refresh rate you are using (ie, 50Hz, 60Hz)
>> > - what settings do you use for playback (Deinterlacer, opengl sync
>> etc..)
>> >
>> > I would like to know so that I'm sure I'm not missing something vital.
>> > Also,
>> > I'm mostly interested in HDTV capable setups, i.e. people who are
>> using
>> > resolutions which are capable of HDTV.
>> >
>> > I have a pretty powerful Rig (AMD 3500+, 1gig of RAM, 200gb hdd), and
>> am
>> > using a DVI->DVI connection to my TV (which gives out a correct
>> modeline
>> > (1360x768), but only for a 75Hz refresh). My graphics card is an
>> > intergrated
>> > nvidia 6150. Everything seems to work (except XvMC, don't know why,
>> but
>> > shoudn't be required with this rig), but when I watch any TV it's real
>> > jerky.
>> >
>> > Not meaning to make this like a survey, just I've been trying since
>> Easter
>> > to get this thing to work (was an Easter project), and I'm beginning
>> > give
>> > up.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance, James Buckley
>> >

>> I don't mean to discourage you, but having actually worked on a set-top
>> box, I'll say this up front - with MythTV (or any other Windows/Linux
>> program), it will be very difficult to get set-top box quality.  Set-top
> [...]

I certainly hope that the 6150 isn't the problem (and I somehow doubt that
it is), because I plan to move to an Asus motherboard that hasa built-in
6150 on it.  There's an attraction to having the graphics built-in, and
having VGA, DVI, S-Video, Composite and Component all available to me
(although, not necessarily at the same time).

Since I live in the United States, I pick "NTSC" for my TV-standard.
(Technically, it would be "NTSC-M", but I suppose it's left as NTSC, since
they have a "NTSC-JP" for Japan, which should be "NTSC-J".)  Nonetheless,
you need to pick the standard appropriate for the area that you're living
in - there are slight changes in the different PAL modes, and they are
geography specific.  I believe (but am not totally sure) that this setting
is used for programming an analog capture card (in the case that the tuner
supports multiple variants of PAL, for instance).

My TV (and the manual that come with it) indicate that I am running at
exactly 60.0Hz in 720p (but it only shows one decimal place of accuracy).
However, one thing to keep in mind is that this is a CRT HDTV, and I
believe that it's more of a VGA monitor than it is a real TV (although it
does have standard TV connections like an RF in for an antenna/cable
connection and component/S-Video inputs)

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com