[mythtv-users] Gigabit switch

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 4 23:28:20 UTC 2006

Trey Boudreau wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 01:49:24PM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
>
>> On 8/4/06, Trey Boudreau <trey at treysoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have opinions on the Netgear JGS vs. GS products?  The JGS
>>> models seem to have lower latency and higher maximum throughput and
>>> lower power consumption, and I don't see why NewEgg has the JGS for a
>>> lot less.
>>>

>> No, sorry I only have the GS models. 2 X GS724T, 1 X GS748T, 7 X GS605v2.
>>

> The GS724T has jumbo packet support.  Do you find that it makes a
> difference?

I find jumbo packets makes a huge difference on large files, even with a
direct cable between two computers.
Between my two Athlon 64 3200+ computers, jumbo frames gets me from
30MB/s to about 55MB/s from single 250GB drive on the mythtv box to a
500GB raid0 on my desktop.

When I bought a gigabit switch, I wanted one with jumbo frames, so I
went with the SMCGS8. It was cheap and it lets me get more than one
gigabit client computer.

Richard Woelk