[mythtv-users] 0.19, VIA, XvMC, Ezra/i586 - video

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 23:26:53 UTC 2006

>Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:37:05 +0100
>From: Jules Gosnell <jules at coredevelopers.net>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] 0.19, VIA, XvMC,
Ezra/i586 - video

wrote:

>>>OK - so you have a PVR-250 in your frontend, no
backend, 'VIA XvMC',
>>>enabled in setup and video plays back fine ?
>>>
>>>I have a pair of Nova-T's in my backend and
enabling 'VIA XvMC'
>>>results in the problem described.
>>

>> VIA XvMC does not support most MPEG-2 streams. It
only decodes
>> a subset of valid MPEG-2 streams. The PVR-250
recorder can be
>> configured to only generate streams that VIA XvMC
can support,
>> but the Nova-T can not.
>>
>> There is a long standing effort by the OpenChrome
developers to
>> extend the VIA driver to support standard XvMC
acceleration. If
>> you can program, it would be a good idea to join
their mailing
>> list and help them get it done.
>>
>> The thing to try first is to install MythTV and
OpenChrome from
>> the development versions to see if this is
something that has
>> already been fixed.
>>
>> -- Daniel
>>

>:-(
>
>Daiel,
>
>Thanks for coming back to me with this - it will save
me a lot of time.

>I shall go straight to the openchrome list and find
out what the
>current
>situation is.
>
>I'll report back to this thread if/when I find a
solution.

>thanks again,
>

>Jules

I've not had much with Via XvMC on 0.19.  I can't get
XvMC HD to work with my Unichrome Pro chipset (ECS
P4M800M Pro mobo) despite trying several builds from
svn of Myth, Openchrome, and DRM on various occasions
over the last couple of months.  I'm on FC5 but have
thought about trying Mandriva for the built-in
Openchrome supoort.  VLD appears to be broken and I
get blank screen with audio only on SD channels.  This
has been reported elsewhere and I've yet to find a
solution.

Please let us know if you find any solutions or hints,
Jules.

-Cal