[mythtv-users] Gigabit switch

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Fri Aug 4 21:03:24 UTC 2006

Does gmail always use teletype formatting to do bold print
("M^HMa^Har^Hrk^Hk") or is there a way for people to turn it off?

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:48:39AM -0400, Michael MacLeod wrote:
> On 8/3/06, Mark (home) <______________________> wrote:
>      Uh, I don't know that SMC really is the level of quality I'm looking
>      for.
> I just saw this discussion, and are gigabit switches really this unreliable? Is
> it just that the technology hasn't matured, or what? And are we discussing
> consumer level stuff that I'd find in future shop, or more industrial units?

While it's always possible for commercial stuff to die, it's
something I've pretty much come to expect from consumer-grade
networking gear.  My Linksys stuff tends to last 2 or 3 years, but
the one time I bought an SMC wireless router it was pure garbage
right from the beginning - the box would simply lock up and needed
to be power-cycled before it would work again.  It wasn't a heat
issue.  The discussion on various forums was that they had a known
bug in the firmware but the guys at SMC refused to offer a patched
version.  I'll never touch SMC gear again...