[mythtv-users] Success! at long last. Thanks

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 15:21:15 UTC 2006

My FC 4 +0.19 is :

$ grep mythtv /etc/passwd
mythtv:x:500:500::/home/mythtv:/bin/bash

$ grep mythtv /etc/group
mythtv:x:500:

$ ls -l /dev/video0
crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 0 Aug  3 08:15 /dev/video0

I don't see that user mythtv should have any difficulties here, but I've
discovered the problem:

/video is a directory that is used in the administration of MythTV.
Coincidentally , I used /video in mythtv-setup as the location to store
videos. Appearently, Mythtv locks the /video directory (see below);
therefore non-root users were denied access  to /video.

$ ls -l /video
> total 0
> ?---------  ? ? ? ?           ? nfslockfile.lock
> (Note: the above is displayed in flashing red and white).

I changed the where videos will be stores in mythtv-setup to /recordings,
and shazaam! the user mythtv can operate MythTV -- with improved video
quality I might add.

Thanks for the help folks,