[mythtv-users] Wiki Week - an appeal

Zach White zwhite-mythtv at darkstar.frop.org
Fri Aug 4 00:21:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 05:40:48PM -0600, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:
> We're not that far apart in our thinking, but there is such a thing
> as over-organizing, and over-sub-categorizing. How many separate
> categories do think is needed?... Let's see... 0.13 was a good
> release, I remember running it, so let's start there. That would
> make... 8 separate categories? It's already too difficult to keep up
> the Wiki, that's why we're crying for content. (all tongue-in-cheek,
> please don't be offended by my mannerisms or over-the-top examples)

My 2 cents...

It seems to me that the wiki user manual pages are much better than the
"official" manual found outside the wiki. Perhaps the user manual in the
wiki should be the official manual. Then, when a release is made, the
current user manual in the wiki should be bundled up and put in where the
current user manual is. The user manual could also be included in the
release tarball. Then, whoever is responsible for this bundling could take
the now obsolete manual and move it to an archive page. That way the wiki
always contains the information for the current release and svn, and
anyone running an older version could still access the user manual
from this archive page.

This satisfies many goals. It keeps the wiki up to date without too much
effort. It also archives older versions of the documentation. Finally,
it's pretty easy to do, so in theory it'll actually get done.

IMHO, trying to keep multiple versions of the wiki pages is a recipe
for poor documentation. Who is going to go to the work of changing all
the wiki pages that need to be archived every time there's a release?

-Zach