[mythtv-users] Backend hardware advice - Power usage - RESULTS

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Aug 4 00:11:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 12:48:50AM -0700, dave johnson wrote:
> So to recap:
>
> Storage system: approx 195W

It's the 1ghz processor that's saving you most of your power.  All those Intel 3.4ghz systems etc.
have really hot CPUs.   In theory the new core 2 duo generation should cut how much power we
spend to get MIPS.

> D950 3.4x2 Intel system: approx 200W
> X2 3800+2.2x2 AMD systrem: approx 120W
> PII 266Mhz laptop system: approx 25W
> Toshiba Tecra 8200 750MHz laptop: 34W

That's a lot for a laptop of that speed.  My own measurements of old laptops, when idle, has run
more in the 12-15w range of DC power.   You are measuring the AC power, which could imply a very
inefficient power supply, or a hot laptop, or perhaps you didn't wait long enough after plugging
it into the killawatt, and it's still doing some battery charging?

My Kill-a-watt has my Mythtv backend (with 3 drives) at 122w with Athlon 3000.
My SFF Athlon 3000 runs 102 watts including an ATI x1300 card (not doing polygons.)