[mythtv-users] OT Watercooling was Gigabit switch

Dean Collins Dean at collins.net.pr
Thu Aug 3 23:20:47 UTC 2006

Yeh I just realised it is the old design that is still up on the site.
I'll change it tonight.

Some background to the project. I work for myself from home so currently
I have 6 servers sitting in a 48RU rack next to me.

The noise was driving me nuts so as an interim I experimented with water
cooling by buying 2 x Zalman reserators. I used zalman cooling blocks
for cpu, gpu and northbridge on 2 of the servers.

One of the additional items I bought were SilentStar hard drive coolers,
not only do they take care of heat from the hard drives but they also
take care of the noise problem.

The other addition that I intend to implement that I don't currently
have is 6 water cooled power supplies. I've been looking at the
Alphacool 500w units but keep hoping they are going to fall in price,
currently $279 each.

So now that I'm sold on how the concept works and is it worth the money
I started looking at how I could cool all 6 servers.

Standing 2 columns of 3 reserators on top of each other wasn't an option
for both stability and ease of access to the rear of the 20" deep
servers so the concept I've designed is for a side mounted water tank
which will cover the entire left side of my rack on the outside.

It will have 6 pumps externally mounted in a vertical fashion aligned
with the server it will be cooling (but behind a matching cover) the
pump will feed through the rack side panel into a quick release clip in
the back of the server for easy removal when I need to pull them out.

Each pump will feed from the total volume of water and more or less work
independently it's just they share the same massive reservoir. Piping
from the pump, to the cpu, gpu, power supply, northbridge than back to
the pump into the reservoir.

Once these are all installed I should have 6 totally silent high powered
servers where the noisiest part will be the typing of my keyboard :)

Cheers,

Dean

addressee(s).  Any