[mythtv-users] Nova-t DVB-t USB remote question...

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Aug 3 17:03:54 UTC 2006

Thomas Hood <thomas.hood at gmail.com> says:
> So how/ where do I map buttons to 'keys'?

[...]

> I can't see the advantag to using LIRC if the remote can emulate a
> keyboard. Am I missing something?

I don't have a Nova-T USB, but based on the Wiki page I don't think
so. I recommend people use remotes that emulate keyboards when
possible; see
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/170450#170450>
for my setup. The ATrpms version of mythfrontend contains, as of 0.19,
a very nice keybinding editor, but I think this is package-specific to
some extent since the 0.19-fixed mythfrontend binary for my MacBook
doesn't have it. If you do have the editor, hopefully you can use it
to assign functions to each remote button the computer 'sees.'

> Presumably you could leave out the LIRC support from MythTV and just
> map the keypresses that the remote uses to the features of Myth,

Exactly what you want to do and what I advocate above.

> but neither X.org nor Qt 3.3 knows about the extended multimedia
> keys. "
>
> Eh? What extended multimedia keys are we reffering to here? I thought
> it said the volume keys have assigned functions (somewhere...)

I presume it's talking about the keys that aren't set to emulate keys
with visible symbols. Hopefully, some utility, like LinEAK, that's
meant to permit use of "multimedia keyboards"' special keys will be
able to turn those other buttons into some kind of symbol that
the mythfrontend keybindings editor can read.