[mythtv-users] mythbackend with dynamic ip?

Nelson Tang tang at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 3 15:49:05 UTC 2006

On 8/3/06, Christopher M. Jones <cjones at partialflow.com> wrote:
> You make this sound simple. But what's the best way to contact the
> backend with the new ip?

I'd like to put in a suggestion to just use a local DNS server, and
that way you don't have to worry about IP addresses.  I'd also
recommend going with static IP addresses as much as you can, for
simplicity.

Now, if your backend is getting an IP via DHCP from a machine you
control (e.g., a home router), then I'd recommend reserving an address
for the backend on the DHCP server.  If the DHCP server is not under
your control (e.g., your DSL/cable provider), then I'd go with a
script that updates a DNS entry every time your DHCP reservation is
renewed, as a previous person mentioned.  See, for example, ddclient
(http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/), which is what I use to update a
DynDNS entry - however, you could easily modify ddclient to update
your own DNS server entry, or modify an /etc/hosts file, or any other
way to make your new IP address available.

--nelson