[mythtv-users] Wiki Week - an appeal

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 15:19:56 UTC 2006

On 03/08/06, Stephen Boddy <stephen.boddy at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 August 2006 09:14, Justin Hornsby wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> Like Alexander said, nice idea. I do have one concern though.
>
> When you read through the wiki it is often not apparent to which version
> things are referring. I currently run a 0.18.x production system. I think
> most of the wiki non-explicitly targets 0.19.x. In the near future (next
> couple of months... please!) we'll be seeing 0.20.x being released.
>
> As a resource the wiki is going to become less useful if we can't find some
> way to organise the info, so that people can be sure when it applies to their
> version. Otherwise we are left having to read between the lines and intuit,
> which is OK-ish for old hands, but will likely be very difficult for newbies.
>
> One choices would be multiple pages for different versions. Simple, but lots
> of information duplication.
>
> A second choice would be some form of standard blockouts (perhaps with
> different coloured borders) for different versions, along with possibly
> standard exclusion markers, i.e.

<snip!>

In all fairness, I think the assumption should always be (and is now)
that users are running the latest stable version.

It could help if people know of discrepancies between versions to
highlight them, but otherwise provide a big bold notice that the wiki
info may not necessarily apply to other versions of MythTV.

Since the majority of users will be running the latest, greatest
stable release I think it's only fair.  It's one thing to ask people
to contribute but quite another (much bigger job) to expect folks to
maintain multiple versions IMHO.

You mentioned intiuion & reading between the lines - a fair amount of
information about Myth has to be gleaned that way already, and it's
that which I'm trying to reduce by encouraging users help out ;)

Regards,
Justin