[mythtv-users] Question re: multiple backends & where recordings are stored

Jared Valentine hidden at xmission.com
Wed Aug 2 22:43:42 UTC 2006

I have a couple of questions about running multiple Backends.  If anyone
could set me straight, that'd be great.

I currently plan on having one master backend sitting in my wiring closet in
the basement.  It has two HD cards for OTA.  It's a beefy machine with dual
CPUs, plenty of RAM & storage.

In addition to the backend, I plan on having 2 other machines.  1.) a combo
backend/frontend (PVR-150 connected to DirecTV), and 2.) basic frontend.

With this in mind, my questions are these:

1.) When the combo backend/frontend records a show, where is that stored?
2.) When the frontend-only wants to watch the show recorded in question #1,
does it stream the show from the master backend, or from the combo
frontend/backend?  (I assume the show is stored on the combo box, and
therefore streamed from the combo box).

Unfortunately, the combo frontend/backend isn't a beefy machine and I have
concerns if it is going to be doing 3 things at once (streaming between
frontend and master backend, playback, and recording).

3.) If I take the combo machine's /myth dir and NFS mount it to the master
backend, does that change the answer to question #2?  Would anything else
change the answer to #2 (short of moving the PVR-150 to the master backend)?

Thanks!

Jared Valentine
hidden at xmission.com