[mythtv-users] Cannot connect to MySql server from clients

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Aug 2 22:39:16 UTC 2006

On Aug 2, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Thomas Repetti wrote:

> I recently changed my broadband provider and had to change my in-
> house IP
> subnet.  Since then, I have been unable to use Tapeworm to connect
> to the
> SQL server and display the list of movies on disk.  I did a sniffer
> trace,
> and the error is:
>
> Host 'dad-1.107es.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server
>
> I did not think that the accounts on the SQL server were tied to
> the subnet,
> but I must think that this is a possibility.  So.....2 questions.
>
> 1 - Is there an easy fix for this?  Is so, can someone step me
> through it,
> 2 - I have considered a rebuild of the system.  All my video is on a
> separate volume, and I was thinking I could back up my existing
> database,
> rebuild the MythTV server, reload the database from backup, and re-
> mount the
> video directory.  Part of me thinks I might reintroduce the problem
> if it is
> caused by a db record, but I'd be willing to try.  At worst it
> would bring
> me right back to the original problem, and at best it would give me
> experience in a bare-metal restore of the MythTV server.
>
> Thanks

MySQL permissions are specific to the host from which you are
connecting unless you specify % as the host you're allowing
connections from. In the MySQL client (as root user), you need to
issue a command like this:

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO USER@"%" IDENTIFIED BY
'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

This means that the user named USER from any host (that's what the %
is) with the password of some_pass may connect and alter any database/
table. If you want to secure this a bit more, specify your new
hostname instead of % and GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* so
the user may alter any table on only the mythconverg database.

-Brad