[mythtv-users] Digital cable HDTV interface

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Aug 2 16:28:37 UTC 2006

Lachek Butalek wrote:
> What are people using for capturing digital HDTV sent over cable? I'm
> subscribed with Cogeco in Ontario, Canada (if it matters) and I'm
> quite unwilling to buy their DVR just so I can get an interface to
> their signal to hook up my own MythTV.
>
> Are there any (MythTV compatible) digital tuner cards or boxes around
> that handles a digital cable signal, can switch channels and captures
> in HD? Any caveats as far as encrypted signals or anything? Oh, and
> add to that - I'm terminally cheap. :)

The pcHDTV HD3000 card will capture QAM_256 encoded ATSC signals sent
over cable. I'm doing that for 29 digital channels from Rogers Cable in
Mississauga.

These are the unencrypted channels, NOT the premium service channels
which need a settop box. For those you have to fight with getting some
sort of output out of the box. That generally means firewire. The
threads here are mainly US oriented, as it appears that no Canadian
cable co. will actually supply a set top box which has an enable
firewire output for ANY digital content.

Geoff