[mythtv-users] Success! at long last. Thanks

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 13:38:01 UTC 2006

On 8/2/06, William <wmunson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

It is perfectly acceptable to run mythtv-setup as root. You should only need
> to run this to configure your sources and lineup or when you make
> fundimental changes. A normal user will never need to access it. All user
> level settings are available thru the frontend.

Thanks William,

I seem to be making an incorrect association. I can not operate MythTV as
non-root. I assumed that this resulted from the inability
to complete mythtv-setup as a non-root user.

During mythtv-setup I receive the warning "*Frontend ID:  could not open
card#0! Subtype: permission denied!"  *It now seems that the inability to
complete mythtv-setup as a non-root user and the inability to operate
MythTV as a non-root user are separate issues.

However, I suspect that it is a permissions issue that is causing the
inability in both instances.