[mythtv-users] Weird Sound Problem

Marc Gracia Galobart mgracia at oasyssoft.com
Wed Aug 2 09:24:15 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

I' setting up a mythtv box on a AMD64 on a 32 bits ubuntu 6.06 and a
ADS Tech Instant TV Analogic card (a phillips saa7134 kind of card).
Everything installed well, and seems to work as expected (Including
the remote with a kernel module patch). Except sound for the LiveTV.

And is that kind of silly problem that frustrates you a lot. Because
have a solution but its an irritating one :)

After seeing that a lot of people have problems for sound because
poor configuration an such, I really taked care of the configuration
and everything seemed OK for me, but no matter what I try, the TV has
no sound....

Just to try, and after seeing a lot of sound devices on the gnome
mixer, i decided to start the frontend as a window and trick the
mixer to see if I had some results. And YES, there were success.
After muting unmutting an playing with the mixers, the sound at last
worked.
It was a muted capture button on the video on the record tab of the
internal saa7134 mixer (Gnome saw it as another card, with line1
line2 and video mixer lines both for record an play).
While I was greeting myself for the success, y changed the TV channel
and OPPS!! no sound again. :(
But, this time I just mutted/unmutted that video out line on the saa
mixer, and POP!! sound again.
The fact is that I can listen the tv if I mute/unmute this line each
time I start the TV or change the channel..... and that's frustrating
a lot.

I'm using saa7134_alsa kernel module but with the OSS  way of life on
the userland (/dev/mixer and /dev/dsp).

Another interesting thing is that this module creates /dev/mixer1
and /dev/dsp1, which I tried to use on the backend and the frontend
confs with no change (No matter what I put in that fields, the system
alwas worked the same).

Seems that mythtv is muting or something the channels in some wrong
way or something like that.

Someone knows what is happening?

Sorry if that's a easy question, I've tried to search the list with
no luck (BTW: a search option on the list archives would be great for
that cases :) )

Many many thanks in advance, I really hope to have a solution because
mythtv fullfills and surpases all my wishes as a media center...

Marc Gràcia
mgracia at oasyssoft.com
Jefe explotación eBD
e-business designer
C/ Sardenya 56 Local
08005 Barcelona
Tel: 902 181 349
Fax: 932 217 303
www.oasyssoft.com
2655 Le Jeune Rd. Suite 517
Coral Gables, FL 33134 United States
Phone: +1(305) 448 2148
Fax: +1(305) 448 0097
www.ebdsoft.com

eBD es un producto Oasyssoft
Este mensaje (así como los archivos adjuntos o los links que
contiene) puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial. Si
no es usted el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la
utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización está prohibida en
virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma
vía y proceda a su destrucción.

This email (and any attachments or hyperlinks within it) may contain
information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of
this email, you are not entitled to use, disclose, distribute, copy,
print, disseminate or rely on this email in any way. If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or email and destroy it, and all copies of it.