[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Wed Aug 2 04:24:43 UTC 2006

>> Is there going to be a version with USB or firewire output?
>>
>> My network has a lot of other traffic on it besides Myth, adding
>> potentially 40Mbs to the network
>> plus my frontend traffic, plus webserver, email, etc.  isn't a nice
>> prospect.  Other than that, it looks like
>> a nice piece.
>>

> Mark,
>
> You could try putting a second NIC in your masterbackend and plugging it
> back to back with the HDHomeRun box. Hope this helps you.
>
> Jonathan

Chances are your computer already has gigabit ethernet... if you start
to see problems then add a gigabit switch and you should be good.

The HDHomeRun has hardware PID filtering and most HDTV streams are a
little under 10Mbps per channel so your typical throughput for two
tuners would be around 20Mbps.

Regardless of the interface (PCI, USB, Firewire, Ethernet) you have the
same bandwidth requirement. Ethernet as a protocol is very low overhead
and the linux drivers are usually very good. USB in particular is bad
for overhead. PCI cards usually don't do PID filtering so your computer
has to process the full stream bandwidth even though it is going to
throw the other sub channels out.

Nick