[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Aug 2 00:33:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 04:47:25PM -0700, Jafa wrote:

> To MythTV it is a capture device (actual two as it has dual tuners).
>
> Live TV loops through the backend then onto the front end.
>
> The CPU requirements for the backend are very low (I see around 3% on a
> cheap 2GHz Sempron).

We do have to stop calling ATSC/QAM tuner capture devices.  They
are demodulators of a digital signal rather than frame capturers.

However, what was your thinking on placing one or two NTSC capture/compressor
chips in the box, or in a variant of the box?   Then it would be able to
be all a user needs for Myth.    How much are those chips?

You could, in theory also do just plain capture without compression, since
HD people all have powerful CPUs, but that's not quite as good because
you get issues when people want to watch HD and compress 1 or 2 SD at the same
time.

Many might even find it satisfactory to have less than 4 tuners (ie. more tuners
than demod or capture/compress chips) if that made it cheaper.   Myth is now,
I think, supporting the idea that the same tuner can tune ATSC and NTSC because
it has two different decoder chips.