[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun

stan stanlist at cox.net
Tue Aug 1 18:09:09 UTC 2006

HDHomeRun Real Use Reviews?

I posed the original question because I couldn't find anything on google
from actual owners.  Are there any other owners who can report good/bad
things about this box?  I'm ready to just order one.  Also, are there any
other suppliers, or is the one url the only place to buy?

I'm getting buyer's remorse already.  "Oh, you have one of those early units
with the quirk that can't be fixed" :-)

Network Speed

My network should be able to handle the box.  I'm getting 300 megaBits/sec
through a cheap gigabit switch.

BTW, I think everyone should measure their real throughput.  You'll be
surprised how much your mileage varies from the advertised 100bT or 1000bT.
I wrote a quick and dirty java program to push random data as fast as it can
and clock the data rate.  I'm willing to share it, but there are a bunch of
free net speed testers out there.

Also, using the wall clock, I found that a samba (smb) drag and drop ran at
only about 100 megaBits/sec as opposed to my raw 300 megaBits/sec.  I was
surprised at the smb overhead, but maybe the sending machine was getting
bogged down reading the file and stuff.  Anyway, something else people might
want to test...

--stan