[mythtv-users] IR remote for videos in /var/lib/mythvideos

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 11:43:25 UTC 2006

On 19/04/06, Joe Knapp <jmknapp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New mythtv user here -- works well. One glitch is that when I'm
> watching a video podcast (an mp4, mov file or whatever) in
> /var/lib/mythvideos, the IR remote has no effect. Is this supposed to
> work? The remote works fine for mythtv-recorded videos, live tv and
> music playlists. Under video player settings it says the command is
> 'mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv %s'.
>
> Setup is WinTV PVR-150

mplayer is an external programme that mythtv uses to play media files
in the mythvideos directory.

The good news is that mplayer is well able to respond to your IR
remote if configured to do so.

I recommend reading the relevant section in Jarod Wilson's HowTo

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

which descibes creating key definition files for mythtv, mplayer and
xine (an alternative external media player) like so.

<quote>
More likely than not, you'll also want to use your remote with
whatever video player gets launched to view your video library via
MythVideo. The above lircrc file includes settings in it for both xine
and mplayer, but they both look for an lirc settings file in
~/.lircrc, which we can remedy simply by symlinking to
~/.mythtv/lircrc, like so:

$ ln -s ~/.mythtv/lircrc ~/.lircrc
<\quote>

Good Luck