[mythtv-users] the new "RT" version of the FusionHDTV5 Lite

Dawning Sky the.dawning.sky at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 06:08:09 UTC 2006

On 4/18/06, Devan Lippman <devan.lippman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any feedback on how you like this card?  Where are you using it, and
> are you trying to recieve digital cable?  I'd love to hear.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>

Glad you asked; just wanted to post a feedback.  I'm using it to receive the
clear digital cable channels in the SF Bay Area.  I have been using the
pcHDTV-3000 to receive the cable HD channels.  And now Comcast is rolling
out the all digital simulcast, I get all the basic channels in digital too.
So I wanted to get another QAM tuner card and went down the cheaper route
:)

It works quite OK.  But it seems it doesn't have an as good tuner (I'm not
sure exactly which chipset is responsible) as the pcHDTV-3000.  I have
digital channels on one frequency that the FushionHDTV5 RT Lite cannot get a
good signal lock on, but pcHDTV-3000 works just fine.  They are both feed by
the 4-way splitter.  I know it isn't ideal to use a 4-way splitter, which as
a 7.4dB loss on each port.  But pcHDTV-3000 is perfectly happy with the
signal strength.  I tried using all 4 ports for FusionHDTV5 RT Lite.
Similar results.  But if I connect the card directly to the wall outlet, it
gets very good signal lock, too.

Other than that, it works fine.  Now I have 4 tuners (Plus 2 analog ones
from PVR-500, but these two are now rarely used).  And I can watch both
Letterman and Leno in HD :)

DS