[mythtv-users] the new "RT" version of the FusionHDTV5 Lite

Dawning Sky the.dawning.sky at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 06:08:09 UTC 2006

On 4/18/06, Devan Lippman <devan.lippman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any feedback on how you like this card?  Where are you using it, and
> are you trying to recieve digital cable?  I'd love to hear.
> --
> Thanks,
> Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>

Glad you asked; just wanted to post a feedback.  I'm using it to receive the
clear digital cable channels in the SF Bay Area.  I have been using the
pcHDTV-3000 to receive the cable HD channels.  And now Comcast is rolling
out the all digital simulcast, I get all the basic channels in digital too.
So I wanted to get another QAM tuner card and went down the cheaper route

It works quite OK.  But it seems it doesn't have an as good tuner (I'm not
sure exactly which chipset is responsible) as the pcHDTV-3000.  I have
digital channels on one frequency that the FushionHDTV5 RT Lite cannot get a
good signal lock on, but pcHDTV-3000 works just fine.  They are both feed by
the 4-way splitter.  I know it isn't ideal to use a 4-way splitter, which as
a 7.4dB loss on each port.  But pcHDTV-3000 is perfectly happy with the
signal strength.  I tried using all 4 ports for FusionHDTV5 RT Lite.
Similar results.  But if I connect the card directly to the wall outlet, it
gets very good signal lock, too.

Other than that, it works fine.  Now I have 4 tuners (Plus 2 analog ones
from PVR-500, but these two are now rarely used).  And I can watch both
Letterman and Leno in HD :)