[mythtv-users] LIRCD will load as root.. But not as mythtv?

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 05:01:50 UTC 2006

On 4/18/06, Michael Jones <m_g_j at michaelandholly.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem loading lirc after doing some updates.   Specifically:
>
> Kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC3
> Lirc 0.8.0
> Mythtv .19-120
>
> I have 1 PVR 250 and 1 PVR150MCE running and I'm using the onboard IR for
> the 250.
>
> When I reboot my machine the lirc_i2c module will not load automatically.
> The automatically logs in as the mythtv user.  I get an entry in the
> messages file that says:
>
> Apr 17 20:16:23 myth lircd: lircd: can't open or create /var/run/lircd.pid
> Apr 17 20:16:23 myth lircd: lircd: Permission denied
> Apr 17 20:16:23 myth lircd: lircd startup failed
>
> If I log in as root and do:
>
> # depmod -a
> # modprobe lirc_i2c
> # service lircd start
>
> Everything works.. But ONLY as root.  If I try to do the same thing I get a
> message after the depmod command that states that I don't have permission to
> access a temp file.
>
> FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.35_FC3/modules.dep.temp for
> writing: Permission denied
>
> I've tried (to no avail) changing some permissions.. But that just causes
> other problems.
>
> I suspect that this issue is not actually permission related (since I
> haven't changed users or permissions since I originally installed the system
> under .18
>
> Is there something I'm missing?
>
> Have I left anything out that might help figure this out?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> - Michael

Not sure that the lirc_i2c module is related to that error.  Sounds
like your bootscript is trying to save the pid from the lircd instace
in /var/run/lircd.pid for which you will have to make sure that file
has write premissions on (which would explain why root can start it
since root has no file restrictions in this case).  If you run lsmod
it should tell you if the lirc_i2c module is loaded.  Then check
permissions on the file.

--
Thanks,
Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>