[mythtv-users] MythVideo loses my files

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 19 02:52:32 UTC 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 8:45 PM, J. Scott wrote:

> At the risk of pissing some folks off, I wanted to post this
> question again, as I didn't get any response. Specifically, I was
> wondering if I didn't provide enough information, or if simply no
> one has any thoughts on why this is happening.
>
> Thanks again and sorry for the double post.
>
> I'm having a strange problem with mythVideo. I recently moved all
> of my ripped movies to a NFS shared drive on another Linux box.
> Every time I go into video manager to scan for new movies, the
> progress bar gets to 50%, then it gives me a message that movie XYZ
> is missing and would I like to remove it from the database. It asks
> me this for all 300+ movies in the directory, so I click "yes to
> all". After this, all of my movies show up properly in the Video
> Manager and in MythVideo.
>
> The really strange thing happens next. When I go into MythVideo,
> I'm able to select and play any movie just fine. I can exit out of
> one movie and start another one just fine. After a few minutes
> (hours?), however, the movies get lost. When I select a movie in
> MythVideo, it tries to play it, but then just returns to the movie
> description page, acting as if it can't find the file.
>
> I can go back into the Video Manager, scan for new movies, select
> 'yes to all' to purge the missing files, and then I'm able to play
> movies again, at least for the next few minutes (hours?)
>
> I'm not sure whether the problem is in the Myth database or if it
> is somehow in my NFS share. I've tried clearing out the MythVideo
> database by selecting an empty directory in the Video Setup, and
> then scanning for new movies, but the problem returns after I re-
> set the movie directory to the actual location of my movies.
>
> Neither of the Linux boxes are ever turned off or put to sleep, so
> I don't think the network connection is being dropped.
>
> I'm running MythTV 0.18, AMD Athlon 2400+, 256mb RAM 10/100 wired
> Ethernet, Fedora Core 4, set up with Jarrod's guide.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts.

I think you have to start narrowing down the possibilities. Can you
get a terminal screen up on the frontend, and when you are in the
"failed" condition try and get an "ls" listing of the directory
containing the videos? And/or just "df" or "mount" and see if the
directory is there. That should tell you if you have an NFS problem
or something strange with Myth.

If you see the directory is there, then try and read and write a file
from/to it.

I'll bet it is an NFS problem, but you need to prove it before going
further.