[mythtv-users] Help: Disable X & Edit X config

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 19 01:38:05 UTC 2006

On 04/18/2006 03:39 PM, Tom Greer wrote:

>You don't specify which distro you are using.  Most newbies use Fedora
>(thanks to Jarrod's great instructions) or KnoppMyth.  Since I am
>using Fedora, I'll give you instructions for it. (I'm not home, so I
>am working from memory here, please forgive me if my memory fails me.)
>
>1. Boot your system.
>2. After it appears to have fully booted.  Press ALT-F1.
>   (This will get you into a character-based terminal session.  )

 From inside X, you have to use Ctrl-Alt-F# (where # is 1-the number of
VT's your system configures).  Note, also, that if you go to Ctrl-Alt-F1
and find it's already logged in and running X (i.e. you see some X
terminal output), you can use Alt-F# (this time we don't need Ctrl
because we're not in X, but it will work even if you use Ctrl) to go to
another VT (i.e. Alt-F2).  To get back to X (if X were actually working,
this might be useful ;), you Alt-F# to the VT one greater than the
number of VT's configured (unless you have multiple X servers running,
then it would be one or more greater than the number of VT's depending
on which X server you're attempting to see...).