[mythtv-users] (OT) mythburn with dvb-s

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 18 22:44:08 UTC 2006

David Watkins wrote:
> On 18/04/06, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I get the 500 error limit then it stops recording the errors. I don't
>> get a DVD though, it bombs before finishing the process I'm not trying to
>> burn directly to a DVD though that could be the difference, I've just tried
>> to make an ISO.
>>
>> So, since we get the same error would it be safe to assume the projectx,
>> Mythburn, etc. install is correct? or would that be assuming too much?
>>
>> David's, post above seems to be the answer, that the recording needs to be
>> converted from TS to PS but the question I have is once it's converted to PS
>> why do you need projectx to demux the recording it's now in a PS format?
>>

> I'm afraid I don't know why you need to demux and remux, but I don't
> think it's related to PS/TS.  My Hauppauge PVR-350 records in PS (I
> believe) but, according to everything I've read, that has to be
> demuxed and remuxed in order to create a DVD.
>
> Good Luck.

MythBurn demux's the files for several reasons. It may be necessary to
re-encode the audio to ac3 for compatibility in NTSC country's. It also
removes any unwanted audio streams and any other data streams not
needed. Finally during the remuxing  stage the DVD NAV packet are added.

For the new version of the script I'm experimenting  with using replex
to do the demuxing. It removes the need for projectx which seems to give
a lot of people headaches and it is already used by mythtranscode to do
its remuxing I think. I'm hoping, probably naively, that if anything can
demux the files produced by mythtranscode it will be replex!

Could you try a little experiment. Try to demux the files that you have
problems with using replex.

If you have installed mythburn you should already have replex in the
mythburn directory. There's also the replex source in the mythtranscode
directory but it won't compile as a stand alone program for some reason
even though it looks like it should.

You need to run something like this:-

replex  --demux -o  /outputfile  /name_of _file_you_want_to_demux

I'd be interested to here how you get on.

Paul H.