[mythtv-users] mythfrontend and netboot mini distro

Michael Fox fox.michael at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 22:23:20 UTC 2006

I've seen mention of setting up a mythfrontend via a netboot type
arrangement. I've explored this in the past and got part way through
working stuff out. However had to reinstall.

I've now taken up the problem again, as I'd love to get something
working which would allow me to boot the odd system via netboot to
take advantage of being able to watch some recordings/live tv via the
netboot system from the backend.

I currently run Ubuntu 5.10 with mythtv 0.19 as compiled by a fellow
on the list. Works well. I've since got my cisco 837 passing bootp/pxe
boot stuff to my dhcp3-server on ubuntu and have a working netboot/pxe
boot arrangement. Machines now boot ubuntu netboot install.

I previously looked at minimyth, and I think I might look at this
again. As I need to figure out the best way to produce a mini linux
install that can be made to be my netboot os to give me a small
footprint system with just enough guts to run a mythfrontend for 0.19
mythtv.

Has anyone currently got something working and would like to give
reference to any notes they might have taken. Especially in regards to
building a mini distro to do the job. Or using an existing platform to
convert over. I think this is going to be the hardest thing. I had
previously got a ubuntu box to netboot and use nfsroot filesystem etc.
But the install was still like 1gb or so. Too big in my opinion, and
it still didnt have X working etc.

Thanks