[mythtv-users] *Performance* of LiveTV auto recording?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Apr 18 17:11:16 UTC 2006

Hi,

I want to be able to disable LiveTV's auto recording.  Well, I found this LOONG
thread, but the only thing discussed was the problem with disk space required
by LiveTV.

I don't care about disk space.  My reason is performance.  I don't have too
fast a system (P3/800), and watching LiveTV already gulps about 180 MB of
memory and about 30-50% of CPU.  I have done no measurements, but I suspect a
non-trivial part of that is due to disk-I/O (yes, DMA is enabled).

I'd argue the performance would be higher (significantly so?  I hope..) if you
could just watch the DVB stream instead of unnecessarily "swapping" it to disk
first.

Thoughts?