[mythtv-users] Shared Firewire Drive??

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Apr 18 14:21:36 UTC 2006

On Tue Apr 18, 2006 at 10:05:35AM -0400, Bryan wrote:

> OK, this may be a strange request but here is my situation. I have 4
> mythtv systems, 2 backends and two frontends. Currently all of them
> connect to a NFS file server with 300G to read and write shows. Here is
> what I would like to do. I have an external firewire enclosure with an
> Oxford 911 chipset (Allows concurrent connections) that I would like to
> connect to both backend server and have them write directly to the 300G
> via firewire. I can the NFS Share the firewire file system to the
> frontends over the network.
>
> Does this seem feasible? I don't see an issue where both backend systems
> writing to the same file at the same time due to the way myth handles the
> master slave setup. I am concerned with the speed and access rates of a
> firewire drive? Is there anyone using it to write recorded shows to it? I
> will be recording at max, 4 shows at 4500 bit rate at a time.

It's not just writing to the same file - writing to the same directory
simultaneously could cause conflicts with updating the directory
entries.  I'd suggest looking into clustering file systems if you do
decide to go with this.

I've also had a lot of problems with reliability using Firewire drives -
random data corruptions, disconnects, timeouts, etc.  This was a few
months ago though so drivers have probably improved since then (I ended
up buying a larger case and moving the drives internally).

HTH,
        Robin
--
     ___