[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0-19-fixes ebuild?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Tue Apr 18 14:04:16 UTC 2006

Daniel A. Segel wrote:
> Brett May wrote:
>
>> Can someone send me (or post up) an ebuild for svn 0-19-fixes please?
>> I have searched the internet high and low and can't find one anywhere.
>>
>> If there isn't one how do people on Gentoo using svn build MythTV?
>>

> I installed MythTV via portage first to make sure I had all the
> dependencies, then I removed it (emerge -C) and used svn to pull down
> the source, including myththemes and mythplugins. After that it's a
> trivial set of commands to configure, build, and install the svn version.
>
> The only caveat was that emerge -C didn't fully remove all the existing
> libraries and myth program files; for example I was left with an old
> version of mythcommflag and it took me weeks to figure that out. If you
> do an updatedb and 'locate myth' after removing the portage version you
> should be able to find anything left over and remove it manually before
> compiling and installing the svn version. One other thing - portage
> installs it directly under /usr/, but the default install location is
> /usr/local/. You can override that when configuring it of course, but I
> actually like installing it into /usr/local so I can keep it distinct
> from things portage installed. Of course, this probably contributed to
> my problems with old versions of the apps laying around, so YMMV.
> Anyway, everything works great now. I update from svn about once every
> 3-4 weeks, or sooner if I see something interesting mentioned in the
> -dev or -commits list, but really once you find a version that works for
> you it's probably best to keep it at that.

I copy the existing mythtv ebuild and feed it new SVN source. Like this:
  mkdir svn-src
  cd svn-src
  svn co https://blahblahblah
  cd ..
  mv svn-src/mythtv mythtv-0.19
  tar -cjf mythtv-0.19-rXXXX.tar.bz2 mythtv-0.19

Then copy your existing 0.19 ebuild to
/usr/local/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.19-r119.ebuild
(the 119 is just a version number I use internally. Call it whatever you
want. Make sure you have your
portage overlay setup first):
  cp /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.19-r1.ebuild
/usr/local/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.19-r119.ebuild

Modify the new ebuild to use your new tar.bz2, instead of the original
tar.bz2.
Comment out any epatch lines.
  vim /usr/local/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.19-r119.ebuild

Rebuild the digest:
  ebuild /usr/local/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.19-r119.ebuild digest

Emerge the new SVN version:
  emerge =media-tv/mythtv-0.19-r119

The advantage is that your filesystem stays clean and you can build
binary packages if you have
a couple of Gentoo machines like I do. The disadvantage is that the
process takes a while, and
you can't readily hack the code like you can when you build directly
from SVN without portage.
So I use this method for "production" Gentoo mythtv machines, and use
SVN directly for my
devel box.

--
Jesse Guardiani