[mythtv-users] New motherboard, no PCI

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 18 13:49:45 UTC 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Warren wrote:

> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 8:13 am, Warren wrote:
>>
>>> I am getting a prototype of a new motherboard, which, if it makes it
>>> into mass production could be an amazing FE board.  I would
>>> however like
>>> to see if it can make a good backend as well.  The problem is
>>> that it
>>> has no PCI slots.  Only 2 miniPCI (actually 3 but 1 is used) and
>>> 2 PCMCIA.
>>>
>>> What are my choices for SDTV and HDTV capture given this
>>> configuration?
>>>
>> If it has USB, then you could go with a plextor convertx. I'm not
>> aware
>> of any minipci capture boards.
>>

> Yes, the spec does mention 4xUSB2.0 headers.  Does the plextor do
> hardware compression?  I have not worked with any cards besides the
> Hauppauge and the pcHDTV3000, so I know nothing of the USB capture
> devices.

The Plextor has H/W compression, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4/DiVX, but
Myth only supports MPEG-4 at this time.

The MPEG-4 does look very good though, as long as you don't want to
use a MediaMVP and accept the fact that you'll have to transcode to
burn a DVD, and can't play it back with most XvMC setups, it saves a
lot of space.