[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Paul Pick paul.pick at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 22:39:50 UTC 2006

I agree with most of what you wrote (I bought an nvidia card
and use the non-free driver) but I couldn't let this bit go:

> My point was that people who are gung-ho on the "I only use things
> that are open source, nay on nvidia for not being open" should
> probably expand their horizons a bit and instead look at how well it
> works in linux. It's like saying "I only want to buy a car that comes
> in turquoise blue" and not looking at any of the reviews of the car,
> the specs, the price, or safety.

Your analogy trivializes the FOSS viewpoint. I think that FOSS
folks would rather you likened their preference in automobiles
to something like "own vs use-until-we-decide-to-take-it-back"
or "seat belts vs big-sharp-stick-in-steering-column" or
something along those lines. (Hmm, car-software analogies don't
work so well...)

I may be willing to compromise my freedom in order to more
easily use my hardware but I deeply respect those who
aren't.

--
Paul Pick | paul.pick at gmail.com | http://packrat.dnsalias.org/