[mythtv-users] software tuner and pvr-150 in the same system

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 20:19:48 UTC 2006

Howdy folks.  Haven't been around this list for a while.  Mythtv
maintenance has been on the backburner for me now that things are mostly
working.
However after searching it doesn't seem like anyone has discussed this.
I just upgraded to a pvr-150 and it works like a dream.  The general
howto in the ivtv wiki is the definitive way to go for me; works in any
distro, and was the only howto that worked for me.  Ok I guess that was
some kind of plug for the ivtv wiki howto... sheesh.
Anwyay, Now I have my old ATI TV Wonder pro just sitting there.
I was wondering if I could get the two tuners to coexist.  So far, it's
trivial to have both working in linux; they do, nothing preventing
that.  But having both tuners defined in mythtv causes some... problems.
Basically the way myth is set up it will select video0 to watch live TV,
or it will select the lower priority tuner to watch Live TV if another
tuner has a higher priority to be reserved for recording and you've got
the option enabled in the myth settings.
Problem is, I can watch live TV with either card, but can't record with
either of them.  Recordings basically confuse the hell out of the
backend and it sits there doing nothing.  Tells me it's recording, shows
me a file in my recorded programs list.  But the file is zero bytes big
and trying to select it crashes mythtv.  Telling it to stop recording
also has no effect, the backend goes on thinking it is recording until I
kill it.  Restart it and boom, it continues recording nothing.  Do
mythtv-setup and remove one of the cards, and magically it can record
and watch liveTV without problems, and I can delete the "fake"
problematic recording without crashing.

So, for now I obviously have the software tuner disabled and am using
the pvr-150.  Anyone know if it's possible to have the software and
hardware tuners working at the same time?
Forgot to mention, the software tuner uses the cx88 driver, and I'm
using 0.18.1.
It's not a huge deal, but would be nice not to have the software card go
to waste now that it's deprecated.  Thanks all.
Raphael