[mythtv-users] Possible Errata/Bug Myth

Chris Everest chriseverest at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 13:19:51 UTC 2006

On 4/16/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 04/16/2006 09:02 PM, Chris Everest wrote:
> > Is this a bug/errata?
>
> No.  MythTV programs (mythtv-setup, mythbackend, mythfrontend) will use
> $HOME/.mythtv for the configuration directory.  So, if you run
> mythtv-setup as the root user, it makes $HOME/.mythtv/mysql.txt (
> /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt ).  Then, if you attempt to start the service,
> which runs mythbackend as mythtv (as it should), it looks for mysql.txt
> in $HOME/.mythtv/mysql.txt (which, for it, is
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt).

I tried adding this manually, but my automagically created mythtv user has a
home directory of /var/lib/mythtv. So you see my point?

Actually, Myth programs look in all of the following locations, in the
> order shown, for mysql.txt:
>
>     - <install prefix>/share/mythtv
>     - <install prefix>/etc/mythtv
>     - The directory specified by the environment variable MYTHCONFDIR or
> $HOME/.mythtv (it won't check $HOME/.mythtv if MYTHCONFDIR is specified)
>     - the current working directory
>
> So if the service is trying to use /var/lib/mythtv/mysql.txt, you'll
> have to read the service start script to figure out what /it/ is doing.
>
> Mike
>
> Thanks, Mike.  It looks like MYTHCONFDIR may be defined somewhere.  I'll
spit it out in an echo through the init script to check.  I have tried
defining the mysql.txt correctly in every path that you specified above.
Except it is defaulting to /.mythtv/mysql.txt (not root's home directory).
Also, There are no hard coded paths for the conf directory in FC5's service
startup scripts.  It essentially changes to the mythtv user's home directory
(defined in FC5 as /var/lib/mythtv) before launching the mythbackend as a
daemon.  I would be willing to bet that the service startup script does not
correctly grab the executing user's home directory correctly.  Instead
defaulting to '/'.  I'll double back and check into it.  Thanks for the
sequence of checking events.

P.S.  This could be an Atrpms for FC5 thing.
--
Chris Everest